Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An unexpected walk....

Last night on our way home from work I told Kenny that if the roads weren't to muddy I wanted to go on a walk while he went to get the boys. After he talked to his parents the kids weren't ready to come home yet they were having to much fun there.

I asked if he wanted to go with me (as he has NEVER EVER went with me) fully figured he would be like no I need to do this or that.... However to my surprise he agreed and said we would walk around the block. I have always thought about doing such but didn't know how far it was plus there was at least one house that had dogs that I just didn't trust. For the readers that don't know where I live its a rural area but we live on a gravel road and if you make a right each time you get to a cross road you can make a complete circle back home. I have rode this on four wheelers many many times as a kid.

Honestly I wasn't sure he would make it (however I didn't tell him that) because he hasn't went farther than 2 miles on the treadmill and that was a couple months ago. So we left home around 6 each took a flash light and both had our phones. I was hopeful we would get home before dark.

We had 3 low water bridges to cross I knew the little one would probably have water over it just hoped it wasn't deep. We got to the first one and it was dry but the second one had water over it and was to deep to walk thru without getting wet. So we walked up the bank and crossed over some big rocks and went on our way. We got to the house that had the dogs and of course they ran out and tried to nip at the backs of our legs and hands (next time I will carry a big stick!).

Made it to where I grew up and it had been years since I had walked on those parts of the road brought back lots of childhood memories of walking and riding bikes on that stretch. Guess I should have took a picture or two. We had hit 3.2 miles by that point which I knew we were close to half way home.

The third creek came up and well it was rolling with LOTS of water.....
The creek is pretty wide and we didn't see any easy areas to get to that we could cross over on rocks and not get wet. So I decided to take my shoes and socks off and walk across (its barely 35 degrees out)

Pulled up my pants and went across this wasn't the deepest part either and it was almost to my knees in a few places. I would not have drove my car across it!

We stopped to put our shoes and socks back on and then a neighbor came by on his tractor feeding cows great timing.... He told us we were a long way from home ha! Really like we didn't know that...

The hills were killer I had already done 65 squats earlier in the day plus was still a bit sore from my 4 mile race on Saturday. We made it to the last stretch of road where we could see our house Kenny decided that when we got there we would stop in and see my grandparents. They were shocked we went that far it was only 5.5 miles which wasn't far for me but was the most he had ever done.

Here was the map of our route it was the first time I had used runtastic. I have gave up on my Nike app for outdoor it never seems to connect and track my mileage. Just wish I could use runtastic inside on the treadmill.

I didn't push Kenny to walk my normal pace I was just happy he wanted to get out there with me he did good keeping the pace I was going.
Didn't even know the app did the splits I am sure they aren't as accurate as a Garmin or Polar watch which I would LOVE to have one or the other.

We reached our driveway and was at 5.39 miles and I made him keep going until we could get an even 5.5 he may have thought I was nuts but I like even numbers!


I'm very glad we got to do this together and maybe once in a while he will go again with me at least he knows now he can do it.


6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love that your husband joined you:) What a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he joined you on the adventure, exercising is a great thing to do together!

    Don't worry I like nice round numbers too, My OCD takes over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not alone in liking the round numbers. I do have some OCD tendencies at times...

      Delete
  3. That's awesome that he joined you on your walk! That's a pretty solid distance. I'm the exact same way with numbers so I would have done the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool!!! I miss doing things like this with Dan and am glad you got to have a little adventure together. I also have problems with Nike app. It doesn't always calibrate with me outside with stroller or carrying it - I will try runtastiz sometime!

    ReplyDelete