Monday, February 25, 2013

Freezin for a Reason 5k

Part 2!

The race registration started at 5:30. I got there around 5 got my packet and number. They were less than 10 people away from us taking the plunge for reaching 200 particpants by the time the race started we had 255!!!!
I walked around mingling trying to stay warm unti the start of the race. For it being the first year for this race it went amazaingly well and very organized. They started maybe 2 or 3 mintues later than projected.

I had decided to walk this race when some of my friends said they were doing it but couldn't run it. So my costume was a bit fluffier and to long to run in which was ok since i was walking with friends. Well day of race two of them backed out due to another conflict in scheduling. Then the friend that I got ready with quit not even a tenth of a mile in to the race.
I tried to run and did for a bit to pass some people then walked my own pace. I was upset that I got left alone for the race mad that I had a costume I couldn't really run in. But I quickly got over that and went on. I passed several people and then saw a lady walking alone, I came up next to her and started chatting. She was walking my average speed so I stayed with her the rest of the time. The group she was with was much taller and faster than her (she was about my height 5foot) I think she enjoyed the company as well. Since it was a race in the dark and people were pretty spread out.

I never asked her what her name was but when we rounded one corner some people from the Ambulance base that knew me was blocking traffic started cheering for me and yelling my name. We got around the corner and she goes um I hope you have the same first name as me because I didn't know any of those people! So weird to run in to someone with the same first name!

While walking they had signs posted in different areas and this one we stopped to take a picture of. Loved it!!!!

I knew most of the people blocking the streets which was nice to hear encouraging words and cheering me on.. Had people randomly taking pictures of my costume some I even stopped so they could get a good picture.

We got close to the end and there were two fire fighters up ahead of us and one was walking full gear and air tank and the other was only partly in gear. I told her that we could pass them she didn't think so but inch by inch we got closer and then we passed them. I picked up the pace quite a bit not sure if she would keep up but she did. After we got way ahead of them I told her to be proud we just passed to young fire fighters :) We turned the corner in to the park and I really wanted to run the rest of the way to see who I could pass but I stayed with her partly figured I would trip over my cold numb feet or get tangled in costume and face plant concrete.

I finished with a time of 56 min and it was a few minutes faster than my 5k in December. Not to bad for being in full costume tiara and all and being right at 32 degrees or less. I was happy with my time and happy I pulled off wearing a costume and not being shy about people wanting pictures.

Not long after crossing finish line. I was still cold and knew what was coming next......... Everyone was like go get in the fire truck and warm up. I knew it would be dumb for me to get warm then back out in the cold. So I just kept the jacket on and kept walking around.

I took these two pictures day after race
My bib with the number 1.. Not sure why it excited me so much but it did!

The front of the shirts in the race package.

Up next is the finale for the race night..... Lets just say it was also way out of my comfort zone super cold but yet fun and very well worth it!



2 comments:

  1. What an awesome recap! So sweet of you to stay with the other Shelley! ;-) Congrats on beating your time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely meet anyone with the same first name as me. I think she enjoyed that I stayed with her and while it may have killed my time it was worth it. Next goal is to run the whole 5k :)

      Delete