Monday, January 28, 2013

Weekend of unplaned things, purple and turkey farming.

This weekend started off a bit chaotic and ended pretty nicely.

Friday night the kids were wound up like the night before Christmas. They were so excited about getting to see their Mike and April and hopes of getting to see turkeys. Blake finally gave in and went to sleep around 9 but Nathan was still going strong. Around 9:30 my grandma called and asked if I would drive them to the ER that my grandpa was retaining fluid. Well Kenny was gone gigging with no cell service so I told her as soon as I could find him or get someone to come stay with the boys we could leave. Finally about 20 minutes later I got a hold of Kenny and he was on his way home. Now this whole retaining fluid thing had apparently been going on all week but he wanted to wait  until late Friday night to have me take him (when grandma could have took him to the regular doctor earlier in the week)
We arrive at the local ER around 10pm and the waiting rooms are packed full of people most whom have the nasty flu that's going around. I wasn't really fond of sitting out there and thankfully we didn't have to for long. I got lucky and two of my good friends were working well one was getting off work and the other was on until 7am. Stephanie came in and sat and talked to me for quite awhile after her shift before heading on home. We set a possible date of having a girls day together which I think we could both really really use.
Krissi was still working so she would stop by and chat a bit on her way to see other patients which was super sweet of her with as busy as the ER was. They ran several tests and I knew that they would just send him home with some meds to get rid of the excess water. It was built up from all the fluid they gave him while in hospital week before and the remaining kidney hadn't got the memo that it was the only one to do the work.
About 1am Krissi came by and grabbed me to watch a temporary cast be applied which was a nice way to pass some time and some good learning all in one.

In the time there we decided we wanted to do a purple streak in our hair from now until after our Freezin for a Reason 5k. The guys all shaved their heads as support and well we wanted to do something. Purple is the color for testicular cancer awareness so we will hopefully get our purple this week. I will get some pictures and do a post about that when it happens.

Saturday morning we took the kids to the cow place (sale barn that has an awesome restaurant) to eat breakfast. During breakfast I got a text from April asking if two little boys were ready to go unload turkeys. Blake and Nathan lit up and couldn't wait to get back to the car! I think they had a great time. Blake said he got to help with the big guys and do what they did and earned 3 dollars! Nathan had fun but as Blake told me he couldn't do the big guy stuff he was to small. Sunday they spent the day with Dwayne and their Nonna and of course Zach, Ashlyne, Lizzie (Little Bits) and Nathan were all there to entertain the boys. They didn't want to come home when I got there to pick them up and Nathan fell asleep in the car before we got out of the driveway. Blake stayed awake to tell me all about turkey farming  and wants to go back and help anytime they need it.

Before I picked the kids up yesterday I spent the day doing laundry and enjoying the quiet house. I even took time to paint my finger nails something I rarely ever do. My toes are almost always painted and usually varying shades of pink. But I found I had bought a pretty purple color last summer and decided to give it a try.
Lets see how long I can keep it pretty before it gets all chipped up....

Spent Sunday evening all 4 of us watching a movie and I actually got to bed before 9 which hasn't happened in months!


5 comments:

  1. We had a good time seeing the boys yesterday.
    I LOVE your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those real nails?? Wow!!!

    Why are you the only emergency contact for ER trips? Are you the only local? You could be worn so thin!! They are lucky to have such a dependable and patient granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany-Yep these are my real nails I have never had a manicure before and never tried the acrylic ones.
      I live right across the road and I am the only grandchild so yep pretty much it is just me.

      Delete
  3. Nice that you know friend in high places at he ER:) I would not have wanted to sit around all the sick people either. Your nails look so pretty! Love the streak in the hair idea. I have been wanting to do that for a long time, but haven't been brave enough:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wasn't brave enough ever either until a good reason came up :) You could join us even though your thousands of miles away and do purple in support like we are.

      Delete