Monday, April 5, 2010

The big scare last night!

Blake hasn't wanted to sleep in his bed or his room since before Nathan was born. He takes spells like this at times and he usually sleeps somewhere in the living room. It bothers me but with being up every two hours with Nathan every night the past 6 months I have let it slide and let him sleep wherever and knowing he gets a good nights rest is more important than him not sleeping and being crabby at school.
Well there has been a few times in the past year he has sleep walked and it freaks me out because teh first time I thought he was awake since his eyes were open but he wasn't communicating with me when I asked questions. So the second time I just turned him around and he went back to bed usually when he does this he is crying and screaming for me or Kenny.

Well last night about did me in, he fell asleep around 9:30 and he was so tired from playing outside all weekend (and he only does this when he is over tired thank goodness). He wanted to sleep in the living room floor, and Nathan and I were on the couch sleeping. Nathan had been having congestion so I prop him up on the couch and I sleep on the other end, well try to sleep because I am always checking on the kids. Anyway I fell asleep sometime after 10:30 and next thing I knew I heard Blake crying and screaming for me. He sounded distant so I got up and started my search by the time I got halfway to the kitchen I heard the door slam shut. I started yelling for Kenny to wake up telling him Blake is outside and its raining and he is crying. I am half awake not sure if Blake went out alone or if someone had came in our house and took him. Kenny finaly got up and I was outside running across the porch trying to catch Blake well Kenny passed me and picked him up just as he was almost to my car and the driveway. He was out of it had no idea he was outside or why he went out. We got him back in and woke up and he said he was looking for us and couldn't find us. My heart was racing well actually we both were scared to death. I am not sure what woke me up but I am glad I did I dont even want to think about what could have happened if I hadn't heard him.
So we put the kitchen chair in by the door so he would run in to it if he did it again (hope it never ever happens again) The lock on that door is odd, when its locked the inside knob still turns and you have no idea its locked unless you are outside. Good note check that before we buy our new locks for our new house. Plus I want a lock way up high on all exterior doors. Needless to say I didnt sleep much the rest of the night and I made him sleep in the floor right by Nathan and I so I could easily see where he was. This morning I asked him if he remembered it and he said we woke him up and that he dont know why he was outside.

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is scary! Thank goodness you were able to reach him in time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, that is totally scarey, especially when we hear such horror stories of people coming into your home.
    Todd used to sleep walk and we did hear him out on the front porch one night. He didn't even remember it.
    I'm glad everything turned out okay.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how scary!
    We have alarms on our doors - incase anything ever happens (and on the windows)
    But there are some @ walmart we used to use - they are $10 a two pack - you might look into them, they have batteries and adhesive to stick to the door and a siren goes off if they are opened without being turned off. I definately loved the piece of mind.

    That is incredible that he does this (in a weird creepy kind of way)) I think it would freak me out too - and I am SO GLAD that you caught him in time - you are right - who knows what could have happened!!!!!!
    Glad all is o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my brother used to sleepwalk when we were kids.....there were a couple incidents when he ran outside and away from the house. that is so terrifying. i'm so glad you heard blake and that he's ok.

    ReplyDelete