Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas 2014

This was a busy busy Christmas and also another hard holiday emotionally. I stayed busy thinking I could run from the lingering thoughts that we would be two grandparents short at our family dinner as well as noticing there were two less gifts to buy this year. Addressing my grandma's card was hard saying to Grandma instead of to Grandpa and Grandma. As I am sure it was hard for her to sign her cards to  us with just her name after 60 years of signing both names.

I worked Christmas Eve night at the ambulance many people criticized me for working on a holiday. Yes it was a holiday but I would be working while my kids were sleeping and home right after they woke up on Christmas Day. I honestly didn't mind working on the holiday when you are in fire ems or law you know there will always be a chance you are away from home on holidays. My kids told me to keep a look out for Santa when I was out and about on calls and transfers.

My partner that evening was really fun and cool. It was one of the last shifts he would work there since he is moving. Not long after I got there we got a call to take a patient from a local ER to a bigger hospital in Columbia. We were thinking well at least its fairly early in the night we will be back before 2am and able to get some sleep. In fact it ended up being one of the most memorable (in a good way) and best transfers I had ever had and I think it was the same for my partner. I can't go in to detail but lets just say that the guy was very old but wise and talked to my partner whole 1.5 hour drive as well as talked to me before and after the drive. Think he made us both think about some stuff and was a real blessing to have taken him on Christmas Eve. Heck he even gave me a compliment that I had nice hair...

As we left that hospital we talked about our patient for a bit and we were both just amazed at how it had went. I felt like it was a blessing of sorts for us to have taken this person and spent Christmas Eve with him. I needed a good shift after some rough ones and I am glad to have had it with the partner I was with that night as we had some rough times working together when I was first hired.

I got home a little after 8 Christmas Morning and the boys had just woke up. They were excited that Santa came and excited to show me my big gift.
I had wanted a bike ever since we moved in to the new house since we live on a gravel road. Blake had been begging me to get one so we could ride together and was super excited that I now have one. Now if the weather would just warm up a little so I can ride with him and hope I still remember how to ride!

The blue ones were from Santa and the boys loved the John Deere wrapping paper.


Blake wouldn't take a normal picture he wanted a silly one taken with the tree. Nathan however was happy to stand there and smile.




Blake was excited Santa got him the General Lee car as well as a Under Armor Camo sweatshirt he wanted DS game and a movie along with other things. Nathan was excited for his new boots Santa brought him that were just like bubbas.

After we cleaned up that mess I started in cooking Christmas dinner we would have my mom, stepdad, grandma and Kenny's mom, brother and his girlfriend over for dinner.  Nathan wanted to help with something so I let him ice the cupcakes and it took him over an hour but he iced all 24 on his own.
While dinner was cooking and our families arrived we went ahead and did gift exchange with them as well. I had ordered all the grandparents photo calenders for 2014 and my grandma loved hers. It was hard putting pictures of the boys with my grandpa in there but I know that its memories she will cherish as well.

The boys got lots more toys cars trucks and clothes. Which are all piled in various places in the house..... We had a good dinner and by the time dinner was done I was wore out tired and trying really hard not to let it show. I did sit down when most everyone had left and took a short nap watching a movie with Nathan.

It was a good Christmas and hard to believe its over and that the year is almost over. I will have to do a post of the year in review and a post on my goals for 2014.



5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!!
    I so miss the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! I'm glad you were able to work but still get home in time to watch the boys open their presents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate you and all the EMT's working on the holidays. We were in need of ambulance personnel close to the holidays, all were so nice and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome its what we are there for doesn't matter day or time :)

      Delete