Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sad sad day......

I had planned on writing about something funny my kids came in with last night to tell me and post pictures from company who came to visit last night. But I can't seem to post something happy when my heart aches about what happened in Boston yesterday.

Early afternoon my mom called to ask if I was watching the news.. Um NO I am at work, she said well you need to be. I started worrying that something bad was going on locally or at my sons school etc. I said what's up and she told me.. Of course then I got online and checked out the news that had been posted.

The pictures were something you never want to see. I felt for all the runners, bystanders family members waiting for loved ones to cross finish line. Boston is a race I would never do. I am not going to be a marathoner or be fast enough to qualify and don't care to. But I respect and look up to all the runners that do aspire to do marathons and the ones who run Boston. I know its a lot of hard work and dedication time away from family friends and they make sacrifices. I was sad that such a joyous day had to be ruined for everyone.

It hits me hard as I have done several races thinking that oh wow that could have happened anywhere. But hits harder being a EMT/Firefighter knowing what those people are dealing with. Situations like that we are trained for but never fully prepared for. You can learn all you want in classrooms or mock simulation exercises but seeing the real thing is a whole new ball game. I hope to never witness something like that in my career but I won't be afraid to go and help and do my job.

Can't believe that anyone would want to target an event such as a marathon and its a sick sick minded person to do such. Hope they find who did it and justice is served. Hope and pray for all those that were there and those that had family and friends running it or spectating that they find some closure to the events and are able to move forward.

I saw on facebook about wearing a race shirt, wearing purple or blue and yellow. I wore a purple shirt today and also wearing blue. I will put a race shirt on once I get home tonight. Even though its cool and rainy here I am going out on my lunch hour to log a couple miles in honor of the people affected yesterday.

Does these events affect my thinking on wanting to run the half in St. Louis this October yes will it keep me from doing races no. But it will always be in the back of my mind.....

4 comments:

  1. Don't let this hold you back. You are an amazing person working hard to achieve a goal. If we live in fear we let them win. You are going to do amazing at the half in October, and many things beyond that. Yesterday's events were horrible, unthinkable, but the running community is strong and will survive. Sending lots of love and hugs your way. We will all get through this, as a running family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Who would have thought you would have to worry about a race and especially friends and family who come to show support! Don't let it get you down and keep running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to let it get me down but does run thru my head thinking about ever having my kids waiting for me at the finish line.

      Delete