Monday, January 10, 2011

Possibley a new and exciting adventure in store for me!

Have you ever had something that you wanted to happen and you know will probably happen but yet scared to talk about it for the fear it will fall thru?? I have had that battle in my mind since November and then got to be more of a battle in mid December. Now its down to the wire on knowing for sure if this thing will happen or not. In fact I am about 99% sure it will happen but that 1% scares me enough I haven't mentioned this to very many people actually maybe 5 people know about the possibility. And only two know about the email I got yesterday (well other than the sender of the email) So after some sleepless nights thinking, I think I need to just blog about this.

Back in November it was mentioned to me that I would be a good person to fill the Secretary position for the Fire Department. I was like oh yeah whatever fully thinking I would never actually be considered for the job. Then in December I found out that the current Treasurer whom I haven't really seen or talked to in over 10 years recommended me for the position without knowing that someone else had already thrown my name in. Apparently there isn't an overwhelming amount of people who want the job partly because you have to know how to use a computer and know how to email and partly because no one wants to step up and say yeah I would do it. I sure didn't step up and say hey I want the job I was asked and I think they weren't sure if I would turn and run or stay and say ok.

I know they have a meeting sometime this month to decide who the new secretary will be and decide if the current treasurer and vice president will remain the same. Not sure when the meeting is I keep asking Don if they have had the meeting yet. Then as I was checking my email yesterday before going in to a friends baby shower. I got an email that made my stomach do flip flops out of fear, nerves and excitement.

Here is the email I received from the president of the Fire Department:
Shelly: It was mentioned that you might be interested in serving as secretary for the fire department, so I wanted to check with you before I discussed with the board. The primary duties are to take minutes at the meetings and prepare the official meeting minutes, send thank yous, do mass email notifications to members and help at as many fund-raisers as possible. I know you are busy with work and the little ones but if you think you are interested we can talk more. The board meetings are the fourth Thursday of each month, except Nov. (1st Thursday) and December (no meeting.) Your mom did it one year, so you might get her perspective. I don't think much has changed! Let me know what you think. Bonnie
 
Of course I replied back that I would be interested and that I had talked with my mom about her time as Secretary and that she enjoyed her time there. I think my mom did it for a few years and she thinks its neat that I have been asked to do the job now.
 
So now its just a wait and see. Kenny is ok with it and a perk is I get in to the fair free! I already help with auctions which I really enjoy and had already planned on helping at the fair this year. Heck I am there the whole time anyway might as well help the fire department make some money. I am still nervous about it fearing that if I get excited it won't happen even though I am pretty sure no one else is even getting mentioned for the position. Scared that I will be up in front of the rest of the board during meetings typing away on my laptop. Then trying to figure out how to make all the notes I take in to meetings make sense and in a form to print and hand out during the next meeting. Seems overwhelming but I know that Bonnie and Stephanie will be there with me and show me how it all works they have watched me grow up and so its like coming home I already know everyone. Plus I will get to use my laptop more frequently and may even buy myself a pink laptop bag to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment