Last night I headed to my grandparents house with both boys to decorate Nathan's 1st Birthday cake and cupcakes. My grandma always made my cakes each year for my birthday and always had them decorated real pretty. I know she would still love to decorate for her great grandsons but having arthritis in her hands keeps her from it. So we have a good system she will bake the cake and mix up the icing and then I will decorate it at her house. We have been doing this since Blake's first birthday and now we get to do it twice a year.
I normally have an idea of what cake I want to create well before the day I decorate sometimes even 6 months in advance I will have my plan. Well as of 4:15 yesterday I still hadn't got an idea so I searched frantically online for something that I could draw on the cake. I am by no means an artist heck I can't even draw a stick person but I was determined to have something on his cake other than Happy Birthday Nathan.
I decided on a monkey at 4:55 I was to be at Grandma's by 6. We get there and I start mixing my colors for icing while the kids play. Almost two hours later I had the cake with the monkey all drawn on it done. Blake came in and looked and knew right then it was a monkey so I figured I must have done something right. I decorated a special cupcake for Nathan that he will get to dig in to on Saturday at his party, then I let Blake ice the rest of the cupcakes. His method of icing is put some on the cupcake then eat a spoonful then ice another cupcake. Kept him busy and he was quite proud of himself.
I was plenty wore out by the time we were done and had everything cleaned up, not to mention it was super humid in their house. I thought I may sweat to death before finishing the cake! But the cake is done and ready for his party. I will post picture of it next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment