Friday, May 31, 2013

The race that got the best of me

Last Saturday was the Fugitive Run I had been looking forward to it since January however I knew it would be hard and challenging. Knew I would be scrapped sore and bruised just wasn't expecting what happened.

We arrived at the race early which was nice we walked around a bit and could see some of the big obstacles and I admit right then and there I wanted to back out. I am NOT a fan of heights and one wall you had to climb over was 50foot straight up.. The jumps in to the water was a 15 foot jump, 20 foot jump and then the big water slide.

 
My race outfit I laid out the night before. And at the time I debated on those shoes being a bad choice they had always hurt my feet but yet they were light weight (no support dumb move on my part) and they were mesh.
 
Me and my partner before the race and yes we both look very nervous.

That was the water slide it was tall enough you could see it from the parking lot!!!!!!!

The prison we had to "break out" of and they had a coffin set up by the entrance that said Unknown Fugitive.
When the race started you were in the building in the above picture and you had to escape. Either up the wall thru the rafters and out the roof, up the wall and out the windows that were at the top of the wall or you could dig thru the sand and go under the wall. We chose thru the sand and under the wall. I hate tight spaces and made sure someone bigger than me went thru first :) I scurried out of the building and then up a huge hill where you had to crawl under wires. Normally the wires are electric fence and fully charged but they didn't have them turned on that day.

After that you made your way along a steep embankment thru trees brush and sticker bushes to this obstacle.
This ended up being the only picture with me in it. You had to get to the top of the trailer and then you realize there is no way down.... So everyone was jumping down well its at least 8 foot up I hate heights remember... The way it was supposed to work is teamwork like you see above however if you didn't have a team you were on your own getting down. So we jumped... I jumped and well knew I wasn't going to land pretty and tried to roll to the side to break the fall somewhat. Oh I broke it all right.. I knew after I landed my race was done. I was upset and mad not to go on but relieved in a way not to have to jump off the cliff!

We made it back to the car and I could walk just was sore and very scraped up.
Well I decided to go to dr after hours to have it looked at just to be sure since it was starting to swell. (the scrapes look way worse now than they did there) I got to dr after hours walked in and they couldn't do xray on weekend but the dr looked at it felt it had me move bend and twist and had no severe pain so I went on my way... The whole weekend I walked around and we went to the pig roast camped out there. I played washers walked around visiting. I tried to make sure I sat as much as possible tho. By Monday evening my foot and ankle had swelled up and turned a very dark purple. I won't post pictures. Tuesday I got up came to work and had 3 friends that I had been texting over the weekend that had seen the pictures kept telling me I needed to get it re looked at. I was like ok fine to suit you I will. So at noon on Tuesday I drove to a different urgent care clinic and had xrays done.

Well this is what the dr found on those!
A nice pretty fracture of my fibula. She was in shock I was walking pretty normal on it and even more in shock I had never had much pain at all from it. The pain never got to the point I couldn't ignore it or push thru it. Well that ended my walking on it. She splinted it and gave me crutches (which I am so not a fan of  yet) Told me she would set me up an appt with an orto dr for later in the week.

My appt with him was yesterday morning I was nervous scared and freaked out. The picture above looks bad and many people who saw it said be prepared to have surgery to fix it and to be out of commission for at least 4 months.

The dr came in opened up the xray from Tuesday and said oh my.... Not what you want to hear then he tells me we would get another xray and if nothing had moved and no extra gap was found in my ankle joint then I would just get a CAM boot and be on crutches for 5 weeks. If it had moved then I would be sent for surgery for plates and pins.... I WAS SO SO SO glad nothing had moved, he told me my ligaments, muscles and tendons were all in tact and that was what kept it stable and not moved. (made my working out and being active pay off big time there) He told me I would be back to races and working my ambulance job by mid July as long as I bared no weight on my foot for 5 weeks.

I still haven't got used to crutches but very thankful I have quite a bit of upper body stregth and arm strength or I would be more sore and wore out than I am. The whole not putting any weight on it is hard because with the boot thing you think oh its protected I can put it weight on it this once. I am trying to be good and not stubborn but its hard. I also can't drive for 5 weeks since its my right foot and that is really taking a toll on me.

So there's my race recap and my first ever injury and first ever broke anything.. I am not ok with all this yet but it is better. I am slowly learning patience and learning its ok to ask for help even tho I hate not being my regular independant self. I know everything happens for a reason but not sure what this one was.


Will I do this race ever again NO and not because I got hurt theres a lot more to what I saw and heard while there and I won't try it again. I still want to do a tough mudder maybe next year but for now when I get the ok I will start training for some 5ks and then plan a half in late October.








5 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry Shelley! I was waiting to read this recap, and wow I wish I had known and I would have emailed you some virtual hugs this week! I hope it heals up well! :(:(:( *sending hugs and positive vibes your way*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I am still not dealing to well with it all and not liking having to ask others for help and not being able to be my normal super busy self.....

      Delete
  2. Shelley, you took the saying "break a leg" literally!! lol
    If there is a lesson to be learned in this pain, it is to slow down and take time to smell the roses.
    You've really been pushing yourself so hard the past few months and all with good purpose, but maybe you need time to just enjoy life without the constant pressures for a month. Ha! Like you can enjoy the time being off your feet.
    I'm glad it wasn't a worse break. You are so strong and will get through the month, it will take a lot of will power, I'm sure.
    Hoping you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry Shelley:( I hope you are able to stay off your leg and heal quickly. That race sounds quite dangerous actually. An 8 foot drop seems excessive. Your next race will be better:) The most important thing is that you looked cute in your pink outfit;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no, what a bummer. The race sounds fun in theory. I hate heights too and I wouldn't like an 8 foot jump!! I've never broken a bone, but I know being injured sucks. Not even going to sugar coat it. Lots of hugs for you, rest up & take it easy....I know easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete