Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sno-Glo 5k

Friday night after work I changed in to my race gear and headed to meet my friend at the bank she works at. We decided to park there and walk up to the start it was probably a good quarter mile give but a nice warm up. I had found some glo at walmart that morning and got myself pink and her some purple.

We arrived and it was a small race they were still setting up when we got there so we put on our glow. They gave us some more while we were there however no cool colors like pink and purple. We had several comments on our colors. I was nervous as I had never ran or walked much in the dark. We drove the race course prior to walking up to the start and knew it wasn't a real safe course. I knew that they weren't planning on shutting the two streets we would be on down.

This is pre race
I really need some tips on taking a picture of myself.....

And I got this one from the Chamber of Commerce facebook page after I was tagged in it. This was probably 5 minutes before we started. And yes I am on my phone....

We started pretty close to on time and the beginning of the race we ran down a sidewalk along a busy street. I think there were around 300 participants and well it was a bit crowded. I ran until the first glo stop and then I walked some. I wasn't expecting the huge hills that were in the course and honestly I hadn't done any training for this. My only goal was to not be last and not get run over!

I walked and chatted with others along the course and always tried to stay with at least one or two people the whole time. I could have pushed myself a lot harder however then I would have been pretty alone out there and well I just didn't feel comfortable with that.

We were coming up the last hill and I knew the 3 mile mark was close when my friend came running down to meet me. She was miss speedy and finished in 33 minutes and took 2nd in her age group 50+. So we left the group I was with and proceeded to the finish once I came up in to their parking lot I sprinted across the finish line and then couldn't wait to see my time. I had purposely not looked at my phone when I started and didn't look at the time during the 3 miles. No I wasn't happy with my time but for dark no training and huge hills I was ok. I got in at 58 minutes and when I compared it to my splits from the half I was faster than my first 3 miles of the half!!!!

And this was right after crossing the finish line I was tired and ready to head home! But I was happy I wasn't last in my age group which they had from 19-30 I need to look and see how I placed with people close to my age.

The race was fun the sno part was nothing to be thrilled with was just pillow stuffing looking fluff....For the first race that they have had like this they did ok lots could be changed such as streets closed more glo along the way and would be nice to have a route where there were spectators. We were along businesses that were closed and a dark road along a rail road track.


4 comments:

  1. Great job! That sounds fun:) I have never run a night race before. I feel like I would trip over everything:0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was worried about tripping which is why I eneded up walking the majority of it. Would have rather been on streets that had street lights or at least streets that had even pavement :) I think I will do another one maybe in the spring or summer. It was fun and the first time I had done a race in my community.

      Delete
  2. Way to go!! Sounds like you did good and I think it would be a little scarey on certain roads, especially the way the world has been lately.
    As I used to say to April when she was little, "Good Job"!!

    ReplyDelete