Friday, April 20, 2012

Ride for a different town....

I have done 3 ride alongs with the Phelps County Ambulance, two for school and one for fun. Well I decided to schedule several hours with St. James Ambulance since that is where I would LOVE to get a job.
However Sunday morning as I pulled up and got out of my car I was more nervous than ever, it was like starting over. In Rolla I got to know several of the EMT's and Medic's not to mention one of my best friends works every Saturday. In St. James well I knew a couple but didn't really know them well. Shift change was at 8 but three of them were working full weekend so only one person left and one came in. I knew the one crew had been out all night with calls and transfers so figured they would sleep all day. Well both crews ended up sleeping all darn day.

We had two calls in the 14 hours I was there so it gave me about 12 hours to study which I guess was nice. Both calls we had were good the second was a wreck on the interstate in the median. It was my first ever wreck to work and first experience along an interstate where traffic is flying by at 70+ miles an hour. I was told I handled the experience very well which was good because I was trying to process everything that was going on so I could learn from it.

So now I have 38 of my 40 required ambulance hours in. All of my O2 administrations, all of my backboards, all 6 vitals and all 6 procedure observations done and all 10 required patient contacts. I have several more days scheduled with St. James and I think now that I have the school part of it done I can relax and get in to it and really learn more.

Next month I start doing shifts in the ER of evenings to get my 16 hours in.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you have a lot going on! ;) Good luck with all your training and school!

    ReplyDelete