I have now been married for 7 years and my husband and I have been together for 12. Some days wedding memories are just like it happened yesterday and other days they seem so long ago. Our wedding party was not large just a best man, maid of honor and a groomsman and bridesmaid. We could have easily had a large wedding party but chose not to. Our small church was packed to the brim with well over 120 guests who came to watch us get married.
I remember most of the events of the day like it happened yesterday. I spent the night with my maid of honor woke up and met the other bridesmaid I had my maid of honor call to be sure the guys wouldn't cross paths with us that day as our town is small. The guys spent the morning getting chairs set up for the reception at Mable's and then they washed and waxed the fourwheelers that the wedding party would ride from the church to the reception on.
My maid of honor and bridesmaid and I went to town to get our hair done and my step mom and mother in law met us there to get their hair fixed as well. After that the three of us went to our favorite restaurant Maid Rite yes I felt a bit silly having my hair all done my vail in and my tiara on but none the less we wanted to eat there. When we arrived at the church we began getting ready and I had tons of family coming down to talk to me and ask questions. It was also the time my mom found out we were riding four wheelers to the reception. We wanted to do something out of the norm and so far none of our friends had done fourwheelers as a wedding ride. The best man came down to get the boutiners and that is when I first got nervous, there is a picture of me trying to pin it on and you can tell I was shaking. Didn't help he said the parking lot was full and still had people filing in.
My dad walked me down the isle and it was the first and probably last time he ever wore a tux. I was happy excited but managed to never shed a tear. Although there were times I fought it, helped that our ring bearer who was almost 3 kept running back and forth from his mom who was a bridesmaid to his dad who was a groomsman. He then sat on the train of my dress and looked so cute but no one got a picture or video of it. The ceremony seemed to fly by and we were soon walking down the isle as a married couple. My uncle's friend took our photos for us and did a great job. I am upset that my mom wouldn't get a picture with my dad her and me, but we got lots of great pictures.
We had a cake and punch reception in the church basement then we went outside to head to the dinner and party. I knew it would be hard to get on the four wheeler with my dress on and I had a cancan under to make it fuller well my friend unzipped my dress right in front of everyone at the church and proceeded to get the cancan off so I could sit better on the four wheeler. I was embarrassed but makes for a good story now. We rode the 3 miles to the dinner and party and had a huge array of food, friends of our cooked fish and then friends and relatives fixed side dishes. I regret not having a guest book there because we figure there was well over 200 people there that night. Kenny and I danced two dances together I hardly saw him the whole time, as we were so busy trying to talk to everyone that came to the party. We did the bouquet and garter throw, dollar dance which paid off quite well. The entire wedding party changed in to regular clothes as it was super hot out and we were outdoors. I do wish I would have just wore my dress part of the night.
The reception lasted until well after 1am. The entire wedding party stayed with us that night and the best man ended up helping me take all the bobby pins out of my hair. Apparently I looked like I needed help as I was tugging them out or he was just needing the bathroom and was trying to hurry me up. The next morning we opened all our cards and gifts with our wedding party and fixed a huge breakfast before leaving.
Our wedding wasn't nothing fancy or extravagant but it fit us perfectly we had a great time and was able to share our special day with so many of our friends and family. I was no bridezilla and we had no major snafus other than the cake lady lost the book my cake was in so we made her give us a bigger better cake for the same price of the one I loved.
What awesome stories. I am going to a wedding next weekend that is exactly the opposite of yours! So small and so quiet compared to. Also, I think the bride and groom won't mingle much, just sit alone most of the time and look at each other's eyes. Isn't it something how different two weddings can be when really, the heart of the matter is the same??? I really like that photo you've posted!
ReplyDeleteWhat did you do for your anniversary?