Thursday, November 12, 2009

What I am thankful for

When I was young my grandma always had my cousin and I write a list of 50 to 100 things we were thankful for and she always had us do this during November before Thanksgiving. I remember thinking back then ok this is silly and she must be having us do this to occupy our time and keep us from being bored. I also remember that we would have things like we are thankful for tv, or for a certain show on tv, being thankful for having toys, clothes we like etc.

Now as I have gotten older I realize that there is a whole lot more to be thankful for than just television, clothes and toys. So I have decided to revisit my list of what I am thankful for now.

I am thankful for having two wonderful amazing boys
I am thankful for having a good husband and for the boys to have a great dad
I am thankful that all of my grandparents are still living and that they live close enough to us to watch the kids grow and that they are still in good health and able to play with them and spend one on one time with them.
Thankful that my great grandma is still living and happy that we have 5 generations in our family, I realize now how rare it is for a family to have 5 generations.
Thankful that I have a good job that pays well and treats me well, as well as I am thankful that Kenny has a good job and that even when the car business got rough he was able to keep his job.
Thankful for having a nice house to call home, it may be small but it is ours.
Thankful for all of the friends I have in my life and for those friends that are more like family than just friends.

I know the list could go on and on, but those are just a few of the important things I am thankful for. As the holiday’s approach I always find myself stressing over getting the gifts bought, tree decorated, wrapping the gifts that at times I lose sight of what’s really important and miss out on spending quality time with family and friends. So this year I am not going to worry as much about getting everything done and stress over little things instead I am going to enjoy the holidays.

I want to let Blake help make cookies and let him help me cook more which I know will take me having more patience. I have fond memories of helping my grandma make cookies and I don’t ever remember her getting frustrated with the mess I would make or how long it took me to stir the ingredients. I want Blake and Nathan to grow up having wonderful memories with family like I have.

1 comment:

  1. with my obvious neat freak syndrom -
    It was hard at first to let Ryan help
    but after a while he got really good at it and was really quick doing things to help.
    I am sure you and Blake will have a blast ;O)

    ReplyDelete