Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why is it so hard to say NO????

Why is it that I can’t seem to say no to people?? I don’t want to upset them so I say yes even if that means making my life hard or giving myself more stress than I already have. Or in the instance of today upset me to the point of crying.

At work I find myself with piles of files on my desk because someone will call wanting something so I say yes I will do it then I find that I work thru my lunch hour each day trying to get everything done because I want to please everyone and not make any of them mad. But truth is I am one person and I can not do every file or try and keep everyone happy because in the end I am stressed, upset and over worked.

With friends and family I never say no, no matter how tired I am or what I already had planned I will drop what ever and fit it in. I bend over backwards more times than I should and I don’t mind at all doing it for friend whom I know would do the same for me. Lately I have been doing lots of thinking about all of my friendships and evaluating if they are a one way street or two way street. For the most part they are two way streets but there are a couple that I may have to distance myself from because it just causes to much stress.

Today was the breaking point and I realized (with the help of a very wise friend) that its ok to say no and that even though you may feel guilty. Its worth it to keep yourself from being over stressed or upset, I know it will be a hard thing for me to accomplish but I have to learn to say no. I can no longer do everything for everyone and continue to be this upset and stressed daily, its not healthy for me and I am sure that those around me notice my ill moods and would like me to be a happier person.

I need to leave work at work each night and take my lunch hours because I shouldn’t be expected to do more than humanly possible and if I make people upset they will have to live with it or understand that I am only one person doing the work of 2 or 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment