Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Holidays=Stress

Not sure why holidays always seem to equal stress but they do. I am stressed about pulling together a big Thanksgiving dinner at our house tomorrow for several family members and close friends. Making my to do lists got overwhelming last night. Sitting at work today thinking about all that needs to be prepped parts of the house that need to be cleaned. Not sure how Grandma always made it look so simple and stress free when I was a kid.....

This year has a bit more added emotional stuff along with stress. Knowing that two grandparents won't be sitting at our table is hard to think about. But happy that they were both healthy last year and able to enjoy both Thanksgiving and Christmas with us in our new house.
Last year on Thanksgiving my Grandpa was starting the signs of a heart attack I didn't notice a whole lot as I was busy, did notice he seemed tired wore out and not his usual self, however knew he was having bleeding in his urine from his kidney and that he was worried on getting test results on the biopsy that was done. The next day I became more worried when he asked me to come over there and talk to him. I was pretty darn sure he was having a heart attack and did my best to talk him in to going to the ER. I failed at my first attempt and then again on the second one but he finally gave in and we went in around 9pm. So even before his cancer and death the last few months I knew that Thanksgiving would hold some heavy memories.

I still have a hard time going over to see my Grandma it didn't bother me at first now it does. Not sure how she is doing with the holidays she said she is ok but haven't been around her long enough period of just me and her to really get an idea. Very glad she has still decided to walk across the road and eat dinner with us and is making the pumpkin pies.

Explaining to the kids why one set of their grandparents didn't want to come is always fun NOT! I told Blake this year to ask them why they weren't coming don't see its my place to make excuses for my mom any more.

I want the holidays to be fun filled with great memories for my kids, I had some great holiday memories from my childhood at my grandparents house and my great uncles but there has always been unhappy parts from most of the years. I just don't want that for my kids. And is probably why I stress so much more over making everything just right and perfect.

My menu for tomorrow is:
Turkey on the grill stuffed with apples, oranges, lemons, spices and apple and orange juice and then basted with the juice.
Mashed potatoes one bowl made regular way with butter and milk and one bowl made with only almond milk
Green beans that grandma canned from their garden this year (hope I can get as close to the taste as she always does)
Cream corn we made from our corn crop this summer
Stuffing (have to admit its coming from Stovetop out of the box. I am not a big fan of stuffing and Kenny said boxed stuff suited him just fine. If someone don't like it they should have offered to help cook)
Mother in law is bringing some sort of sweet potato dish
Stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese and sausage/and some with just sausage
Jalapeno bacon wrapped poppers/Sweet pepper bacon wrapped poppers in the oven
Lil smokies for appetizer and for the boys in case they don't want to eat the turkey
Rolls
Dessert: Grandma is baking the pumpkin pies and I am doing cupcakes

Oh and I am sure there is some food I am forgetting. Just hope to make it thru the day with no major meltdowns or to much stress and that everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment