Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Slow but moving again

Had my much anticipated doctors appointment yesterday we arrived at 4:00 appointment was for 4:15. We finally got called back at 5pm! To say I was frustrated is a huge understatement I HATE when clinics do that to patients. Not to mention they had a lady walk in with no appointment wanting her scar looked at... Then they took her back before me.

Anyway we got back there and they did the x-ray and the x-ray tech was shocked I could bend and twist my foot each way she asked. I was glad I impressed someone with my still there flexibility.

The dr came in and was feeling it and talking to me. Of course my first question was could I walk on it and could I go back to my EMT job on July 14 and then asked about working out running etc. He told me to take it slow that I could walk on it now while in the ugly boot but to start wearing tennis shoes and walking carefully around home to practice. But that there should be no reason not to be able to go back on the 14. However he wants to see me on the 12 in regular shoes walking normal so I can get my work release. I was super happy with what he said.

He was surprised/happy that my bone had healed in 5 weeks and that I had never had any pain at all with the break. Then he asked me to stand barefoot and walk to him and I did and he tried to hide it but he was a bit shocked I was moving so well. So I walked out of the doctors office on my own two feet.

This week and weekend I will be wearing my tennis shoes and start driving again. The ankle joint is sore from being in one spot for the last 5 weeks but feels no worse than a hard race where your joints are angry.

First goal is to walk in normal shoes and then drive myself to work on Monday. Second goal is to get my work release for the 14 and then start working out again. I am going to leave the working out part for the bottom of list at the moment. I really want to get back to EMT job and ease back in to workouts.

I am however going to look at bikes tonight while at Walmart and then look online at Target and buy myself a bike so I can ride with Blake on our gravel roads.

Super glad that all my hard work of building strength and muscle has paid off and I am able to walk same day as done with crutches after no weight bearing for 5 weeks. Yes slow and yes get tired but my leg is holding up well.

We are going to hopefully go swimming at a friends house tomorrow with the boys and I am very much looking forward to it I think the water will feel nice and being able to kick and swim will stretch out my leg muscles and get a good workout at the same time.

Did get on the scale last night and it was after dinner and after eating and drinking all day but it was down a few pounds from May 24. I will weigh tomorrow morning first thing and see where I am at.

8 comments:

  1. Yay Shelley!!! I'm so glad the appointment brought good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! So glad it was good news Shelley:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad it was good too. All sorts of thoughts ran thru my head all day yesterday.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear the great news. That's awesome to shock your doctor like that. It's nice when you progress at a rate faster than they expect. Thanks for commenting on my blog too. It's nice to hear when others are in the same boat as far as being hesitant. Congrats on getting back on your own feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree its nice to run across others just getting back in to workouts after injury. So hard seeing everyone going at full speed and your stuck on side lines.

      Delete
  4. So happy for you, especially being able to drive again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all worked up just reading the first paragraph, things like that with dr. offices get me all grrrrrr! Even just the idea of having an appt time that some offices completely disregard get me hoppin.

    Anyway........so glad you received good news at your appointment! Still take it easy, but good to hear you can move forward with your foot healing :)

    ReplyDelete