Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A huge leap?????

For the last 11 years I have thought off and on about going back to school for something in the medical field. Just never sure what however when asked what I want to be when I grow up I usually said Fire Fighter or EMT. My best friend on the school bus and I always talked about doing both and well she went on to college and got her EMT then to nursing school and is now an RN. I on the other hand well I took Fire Fighter One and Two passed all state exams and that was it never used it.

Over the last several months I have really been thinking about what I really want to do, I am still young enough to change careers go to school and still retire at a good age. My current job has no benefits no health insurance nadda. So I pay out of my pocket for health insurance on me and the kids. Always dreaming of a job where that was there and something that had a 401k or some sort of retirement fund I could invest in.

Researched going to school for nursing looked at online schools local ones etc but nothing really offered night classes. The more I thought about it the more I knew I wouldn't be happy as a nurse or nurses aid its not what I love. So I have decided to go to evening classes and get my EMT license I had the opportunity to take this class in Highschool but didn't (for some really stupid reasons that I have regretted for years). Most ambulance places you work two twenty four hour shifts and are off the rest of the week. You have benefits and also have retirement.

I filled out and printed my application and went to drop it off yesterday, fully thinking ok I will drop it off and be on my way. Then wait for the phone call to see if I had been accepted. Much to my surprise I got to the office told them what class I was applying for they sent me down the hall to meet the teacher. I was not prepared for that! Not prepared to ask questions I was just trying not to puke while talking to her. Lucky for me she was super nice!  Anyway I asked her when I would know if I was accepted she flipped thru the application and said I will see you in January on Monday and Thursday nights!

It took me quite a while to process it all when I left. I emailed a good friend of mine to find out what I would need for class etc. She is the same friend who works on the Phelps County Ambulance every Saturday and told me I needed to come do a few ride alongs before school starts.

Of course when I found out I would need a good stethascope I quickly asked do they come in pink! Yeah I am a nut! I have no clue what class for sure costs I have to have some money down before school starts that will cover books but as for the rest yeah I should have asked more questions.

While I am not 100% sure if I will make that my career or use it as a starting point to go on to more schooling and work in an ER or a doctor office. I am excited to finally fulfil a dream I have had since I was young!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! You are never too old to start a new career. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce Kay- Thanks! The thought of a new career and the change is scary but exciting at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for you. As my Mom says, if something is meant to be, it will all work out. Well, apparently EMT classes are what you are meant to do, how much more smoothly could it go in applying.
    All change (to me) is scarey, but it's also a leap of faith and you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome!!!! congrats on making such a big decision. i think you should go full speed ahead for your dream. and you'll be excellent at it

    ReplyDelete