I was going to write this on Friday and then on Monday but my mood was foul and it just wasn't a good time to write.
Hard to believe that its been ten years since the attacks on the world trade center. I do remember exactly what I was doing that day. I was 18 and worked at Al West I had Tuesday's off, I had ran errands early that morning then came home and found the the tv covered in news coverage of the horrible events. I sat there the entire day watching, well minus when I had to take Kenny and his friend lunch. Since they were both working outdoors they had no clue what was going on.
I remember that same week we had our fire training meeting and it was the talk of the training class. Some of the people were on lists to go to New York if needed others wanted to be put on the list. I wanted to be on a list to go and help but being only 18 they thought it would be to much for me to handle (honestly looking back yes they were probably right)
Every day I watched the news about it and felt bad for the fire personnel who lost their lives the law enforcement and all the others who worked in those buildings.
Sunday I watched the different specials on and off all day recorded a few to watch later. None of them really talked with any of the fire departments that responded. I liked watching the ones that had real footage gathered from people who just happened to have a camera with them that day. Then Sunday evening I found a special on CBS and the whole show they talked to fire personnel that been there at ground zero and how their lives had changed. It was heart breaking to hear how they were still affected ten years later how some retired or changed careers and how others stuck thru it and remained on the fire department.
Honestly I couldn't imagine seeing what everyone saw that was there those days weeks and months after. Just watching it on tv gives me the chills and goosebumps but to be there seeing it first hand well I think I am glad I didn't put myself on a list to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment