Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Gift for the Boys..

A few weeks before my Grandpa passed he told me he wanted the boys to have his tractors. He had an old John Deere that he has had since before I can remember. Lots of memories riding it with him thru the fields and hauling wood. Blake has always been a John Deere fan and has always claimed that as "his" tractor. When I was growing up I always wanted that tractor when I was old enough and even when Grandpa had people offer to buy it he kept it.
The other tractor is a newer model New Holland and for some reason Nathan has always loved it and claimed it as "his" tractor.  

For as long as the boys have been around Great Grandpa always told them that when he was done with the tractors they would get them. Did I really think he was serious... well not really but I knew he wouldn't sell either of them unless he really HAD to for other reasons.

So when he talked to me about finding out what paper work was needed for him to give the kids their tractors I was a bit speechless. But I did as he asked found the correct form and he had me fill them out and he and Grandma signed them. The John Deere went to Blake, Me and Kenny and the New Holland went to Nathan, Me and Kenny.

He had the kids come in to the living room and he wanted to talk to them about something. I wish I would have thought to video tape the talk but I was glad I got a picture without them knowing.

Grandpa had the boys stand there and he told Blake first.. He said that the John Deere tractor he always liked would now be his but until he was 21 it was to be shared with his mom. Told him it was an early Christmas present as he knew he would not be around at Christmas to give it to him. Blakes eyes were huge and he was like are you serious that I really own a real tractor.. When he talked to Nathan I am sure he didn't understand what Great Grandpa was telling him other than the blue tractor was how his and his daddy's to share.

I was almost in tears hearing him tell the boys about why he chose to give them each the tractors and telling them to take care of them and keep them in good working order. Grandma got up and walked out of the room during this which I can understand.

Once the boys went back out to play Grandpa talked to me about a few things that broke my heart but also had a good talk about things he wanted me to be sure to take care of when he was gone. We had many conversations over the weeks before he passed some were good some were hard to hear and some you knew he was aware the end was coming.

When I got home that evening Blake was in shock asking if Great Grandpa was serious I told him yes that the tractor was his. He said well I want to write him a thank you note. Nathan couldn't wait for his daddy to get home so he could tell him that he got the blue tractor to keep forever.

Blake wrote a thank you note from him and then he wrote one from Nathan (didn't get a picture of Nathans)

 
Says: Dear Grandpa Thank you for letting me have the John Deere tractor. And I got a present for you to I hope you like it. I asked what the present was and he told me he wanted to get Grandpa a vanilla milkshake the next evening when he gave him the note. So I we got Grandpa and Grandma vanilla milkshakes to give when they boys gave them the notes. I noticed Grandpa kept the two notes on the table by the recliner where he sat and showed them off to anyone who came over. I am glad he was able to give the boys the tractors and to be around to see their excitement and get the thank you notes. I am sure Grandma will keep the notes tucked away and someday give them back to the boys to keep. I will try and get some pictures of the boys on their tractors.

Nathan decided last week he wanted to wash his as it had bird poop on it from the birds in the barn. So Kenny and him spent a couple hours washing it and taking it for a ride.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a neat memory for the boys and how cool is it to now have their own tractors! I bet they were on cloud nine!!

    ReplyDelete