Monday, October 28, 2013

A working weekend

It's Monday and how is it the two weekend days seem to fly by faster than two days during the work week???????

Friday afternoon I spent quite a bit of time reading some of my favorite blogs and browsing some others for inspiration and motivation. I was told there are less than 120 days until my goal race so I need to find some ideas workouts and meals.

I spent the evening at home with the kids which was nice no where to be just time with them. Even tho I was busy cleaning the kitchen and doing laundry I knew they could stay up a bit later than normal and play. Got a text that evening asking if I wanted to pick up the first part of a shift Saturday. I was already schedule the 12 hour night part of it. I told them no I wanted to spend time with my kids and do stuff with them on Saturday.

Saturday morning comes and the kids wake up but are playing nicely in their room so I take a nice hot long bath. No sooner than I am out I am asked again if I would work as they can't find anyone and would have to drop down to one truck (which has happened but not ideal especially on a weekend) I debated it talked with Kenny about it. Told them I would be in overtime for 7-8 hours of that shift and they said ok no big deal. Well time and a half had me sold as well as Kenny I would make quite a bit however kids weren't happy I was leaving. Made it hard to leave.

Arrived at work at 9am knowing I would be putting in a 47 hour shift the longest I had ever done there in one stretch. But I was ready had a good partner and the other crew I really liked. My partner and I ran 4 out of the 7 calls of the day which is quite a few for us. Luckily we had nothing overnight so got a little sleep not much but a little.

Sunday morning at 7am we had a call from a local hospital asking us to take a transfer as they had several patients needing to go out.  My partner and I (different one from day before) took that one and on way back thru called and picked up another and took it as well. So for 8 hours we were in the truck driving. Got back and had a short nap while other crew went on a transfer.
Got to watch part of the World Series game before we got a ugly call. That call went smooth but still had not good outcome. Which makes the second one of those in two weeks :(
No sooner than clean up from that we have another transfer which kept us out until 2:30 this morning.

Needless to say no sleep and after having some stressful calls over the two days I am more than ready to get home and see my kids and Kenny. But days like yesterday make you appreciate life family and friends. And to be thankful for what you are able to do. I get told frequently I am crazy, stupid and dumb for not only working two jobs but for doing ems. Most days I let it roll of and there are days like today it digs in at me. I can't say hey think about this.. this is what I saw did and dealt with for two days. Or when others complain of being sleepy due to something silly or they "only" got 7 hours of sleep at night. Hard not to say be glad you did because there are those of us who sleep when we can but up most nights helping others.

One plus to the two hard days working is I got quite the total body workout and I am sore from head to toe!

I however managed to eat good and remembered to eat this weekend which I am quite proud of myself for! When we stopped somewhere to eat I chose healthier options (minus the bacon egg biscuit from McD's yesterday morning). And I even drank plenty of water which never happens when I work.

So I find that there was success along with stress exhaustion and craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment