Yesterday when I pulled up Yahoo to search for something I noticed a news article. Usually I don't stop what I am doing to read news unless I am just needing a break from work. Anyway this article caught my eye. It was about an older gentleman who is a war veteran. He placed a flag pole and flag in his front yard. The developer of his subdivision said it was breaking homeowners association rules. Really an American flag in your yard is against the rules!!! I work in real estate and read restrictions and homeowners associations rules all the time and there are some strange ones like you can't have a clothes line outside or your house has to be a certain brick or color etc. But to say you can't have a flag pole in your yard that's crazy!
Not really sure why this bothered me as much as it did other than the fact the guy was a war veteran and that I have a cousin currently in the Navy. My cousin has been deployed more times than I could ever count and been out to sea in submarines for months on end. He was at Desert Storm then again twice for the war in Iraq. I only knew of the deployment for Desert Storm and I was young but I remember my family watching tv for hours on end about the war. But I also know they never flew a flag or had a yellow bow on a tree and I think that's sad. My cousin makes sure that he goes to each homecoming that his base has and welcomes them all home. And his current job in the Navy is funerals and honoring those who have fallen in the line of duty.
I doubt there will ever be another article about that veteran and his fight with his homeowners association but I hope that his neighbors support him and stand behind him in wanting to fly his flag.
No comments:
Post a Comment