It's been a while since I posted between both jobs, boys having ball practice and games I have lots on my mind but none that seems blog worthy.
Anyone who knows me knows I don't venture out of my comfort zone, I like my little bubble where I know how and what will happen and know I can handle it.
This week has been one where I have fallen out of my little bubble and tried some new things. Earlier in the week Nathan's tball coach told the assistant coach that he couldn't do the practice this week. She asked me if I would help her ha... Um I have never coached anything let alone be out on the field with up to 15 3-4 year olds showing them how to play. Lets not forget I never played ball in my life and sure didn't know much about it. Thankfully there aren't many "rules" in tball they hit the ball and run there are no outs or strikes.
So Wednesday night Nathan and I went to the ball fields and met the rest of the team. Up until then Nathan had been clingy during games not wanting to be on the field without me. We talked on the way about how he would have to be out there with his team as I would be helping all the kids. He did awesome he batted great with me then he went out in the outfield and I saw him interacting with other kids I was one proud momma!!!!! Now the real test will be if he can do that same thing tonight for the game...
Last night I didn't think I would have anything going on could go home and relax. However mid afternoon got a text from a friend saying they were a couple girls short for their co ed softball game that night. I had never ever played softball on a team for a real game. Sure we played some in highschool and junior high in gym class. I have always wanted to play but never gave it a try. So last night I sucked up my courage met the team. I only knew two of the players and thankfully they aren't real competitive team they do it for fun.
To say I was nervous is a huge understatement but I went out in the outfield and played right field. And yes I had to ask where that was! The rules are WAY WAY different than regular baseball and even different than Blake's bantam ball. But I just listened to the team and did what they said. I was the only left handed batter on the team. Fun fact... I am right handed at everything except batting and golf (only played golf once but found out I was left handed). I hit the ball each time up to bat and always made it to base!
Mid way thru the first game (we were playing a double header) the team asked if I could come back next week as they were short a player. I was shocked apparently I played well enough I was wanted back! We won the first game and lost the second, pretty sure that was the first game that team had ever won! About a quarter of the way thru the second game Kenny and the boys showed up to watch me. Blake and Nathan thought it was cool and well Kenny said I needed to run faster. Ha running on concrete or treadmill is way different than loose dirt plus I had old shoes on and I really need my good ones that have better support.
After the game the coach came up to me and said I really hope you can come back for the rest of the games this season! So I guess next Thursday night I will play another double header. I think this weekend and this coming up week I will work on running sprints and on my batting stance.
I never in a million years would have thought I would be a on a softball team but it was super fun and one heck of a workout! Not to mention doing something that makes your kids excited and them proud of you is pretty darn neat!
Great job Shelley! I love that you ventured out of your comfort zone and had fun:)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like fun. Glad for you to enjoy it so much.
ReplyDeleteSounds like Nathan is getting out of his comfort zone, too.
Go Allen's!!
Its one heck of a workout but I really enjoyed it.
DeleteGood for you! This happened to me a hundred years ago when the church had a ball team and my husband said I didn't run, that I just did a "fast trudge." I enjoyed it but it was so out of my comfort zone too; however, I think we need to be kind of encouraged to do new things .... but seems to me you have done a whole lot of new things! I admire people who can do what you do -- work two jobs, wife, mom, close to grandma, cook, now ballplayer, chauffer, race competition (I could never do that!) and more. Who knows what you will do next! K.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen! I did get myself a new bat this weekend the ones the teamates had were much to long for me. Then grandma thought I needed a brown and pink glove :)
Delete