Thursday, September 26, 2013

Something I never hope to do again.

Monday was a day I won't soon forget. In fact it started a week ago today. Last Thursday night as I was visiting with my Grandparents I got a message on my phone asking if I had heard which city fire fighter had passed away in a vehicle wreck. So in browsing facebook texting friends I found out who it was. I didn't know him real well but had worked with him some when I was in fire 1 & 2 school and then again on a few calls since becoming an EMT. I also work with two of his aunts at my office and he had came by several times. A very very nice guy and a great fire fighter. I was sad to lose one of our own sad that the crews who responded to the call were friends and coworkers of his. My heart ached for my friends. Then I got a text Friday evening from Donnie asking if I was going to the funeral on Monday (I hadn't really thought about it figured I would go with the ambulance district if I went) in some back and forth texts I realized he knew him very well. I said we could go together on Monday. I had never been to a funeral for a fellow fire fighter wasn't sure what to expect or how it worked. I knew there would be fire trucks from all over the state there to pay their respects for a fallen brother.

Monday came and I worked for a couple hours and was picked up by Donnie in his cop car we went to funeral home and parked in line for the processional. At an hour before the service there were more fire trucks and ems vehicles that I had ever seen. People were there from all over the state was a neat thing yet sad to see. There were over 300 people there for the service we knew it was an open casket so we were ok with standing in the hallway out of sight of the casket. It was chilling to hear his asst chief do the service hear his daughter get up and talk. Where I was standing I could see my boss from the ambulance district in full uniform standing up next the casket and could tell he was crying. Was hard to see guys you work with who are big tough strong to break down and cry. I held it together thru the service then we went thru the line up by the casket. We walked back to the car to wait for the procession to start. I tried to keep the mood good and the talk away from what we just stood thru. The procession started and it was breathtaking seeing the mile and a half long procession half of which was fire ems and law enforcement. People were standing along the streets watching taking photos and saluting.
I borrowed this from facebook we are the car behind the ambulance. Being close to the front of the processional we got to look behind us to see the huge line of personnel. We had to go across town and then down the interstate to the next town. Was a very very long drive but yet very nice knowing that we all came together to honor such a great guy.

Right before we got on the interstate I took this picture we drove under this huge flag I about cried. Borrowed the next picture from a friend.

As we went thru the roundabout I was able to snap another picture of the line of trucks coming behind us. If the cop car would have had a sunroof I would have climbed out to get a better picture.

When we arrived at the cemetery we had to park about a quarter of a mile from the gravesite to be able to fit all the fire trucks in. Was a sight to see walking down and I wish I would have got a picture but found this one posted on the facebook page in remembrance of the fire fighter.

There was about 5 vehicles  in front of the first truck in this picture and then as far as you can see then around the corner.

Bagpipe players always give me chills when I hear them on tv and well they make me cry when they are two rows of people in front of you and play Amazing Grace.

Here is an ariel shot of the cemetery as we were standing there. The highway patrol had a plane fly over and take a picture. I am in the second row from the back about 3 people over. There were tons of people crammed under the tent and then the two rows to the left of the tent were all city fire fighters. They looked very sharp in their uniform but would rather see them dressed up for something other than funeral.

The bagpipe players did their song and then I heard some of the City Fire guys turning on their pagers and I knew what was next. I knew they would drop the final tones for City and for the rural dept he was a firefighter for. What I didn't expect is it to send chills down me and instantly send tears flowing. I was glad I had my sunglasses on. Not sure if the link I found online will work or not but here it is to listen to.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200716456415738


As they were doing the final call for him I looked around and there wasn't a dry eye around. Even the guys trying to hide it had tears in their eyes. Once they were done and finished the service we stood around and talked for a bit before walking back to our car. We had been doing the funeral since 10am and it was now 2:30pm. Both of us had to get back to work, on the way back he thanked me for going with him and both agreed we didn't want to have to attend any more of those funerals. However we both know it will happen we have to many friends and family in the fire ems and law service.

The two ladies I work with thanked me for coming to the service and the one asked if all those people there from different departments knew her nephew. I said no most of them didnt but that when we lose one of our own we go to show our support. She had never heard of such and thought it was a great thing. I am glad I went was defiantly a different type of funeral but I hope to not have to go to another for a long long time.

Apologize for any grammar errors I typed this and couldn't go back and read thru it barely made it thru just typing it.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Shelley. So sad to lost one of our heros:(

    ReplyDelete