Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

Yeah I know Thanksgiving was a week ago but I wasn't sure how to put the weekend in to post that would make sense to anyone who would read it.

We decided to go to St. Louis this year for Thanksgiving with Kenny's side of the family, the last few years his mom has had it here at her house which enabled us to eat with my family at my mom's and then go to his parents house. This year my mom had knee replacement surgery the week before Thanksgiving so we decided not to do a dinner with them. The day before Thanksgiving Blake wanted to spend the day with his papa (Kenny's dad) so we let him well then he wanted to stay with papa on Thursday instead of making the long drive to St. Louis. I was ok with it to a point it felt weird going to a family dinner with only one of our two kids but knowing that Blake was having a much better time playing with his toys and spending quality time with is papa. The weather was crappy to say the least rained the whole trip there then sleeted and snowed the entire time we were there and then just plain cold and nasty on the drive home. I had been told by a friend of mine I was to text them before we left home and when we arrived as they were worried about us travelling in yucky weather and on a holiday. Throughout the day I checked my phone to find I had many texts from other friends saying Happy Thanksgiving but not once did my phone ring not once did my mom call to say Happy Thanksgiving in fact no on in my family on either side called. I blew it off played as it didn't bother me but deep down it hurt. It was the first holiday I didn't talk to my mom or see her and no we aren't close by no means she still usually will call and say hi. I know she was depressed about the knee surgery etc and that I should have broke down and called. Anyway that's the past and I have moved on.

Saturday morning we got up early and had family pictures taken. Then I went shopping with a good friend and had a great time. It was the first time I had spent an entire day just her and I. I wasn't sure what to expect or how it would go but I was very pleasantly surprised. We had a lot of fun and I heard later that she said she wanted to do it again. I was able to get almost all of my shopping completed which made me extremely happy. It was the first time in a very long time that I had been shopping with someone and had that much fun and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sunday I took both kids to church with me and thankfully they were both very well behaved which they are most of the time anyway but those who read this and know Blake know he has one heck of a stubborn streak at times. The preacher's wife asked me if Blake would want to read a restitution before the Christmas play in a few weeks not sure if he will but I want him to try. I grew up as a very shy child never talking to anyone and I don't want my kids to be that way or at least not to the extent I was. I would have never got up in front of a crowd heck I still probably wouldn't.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right. You have to be the one to make first contact if you want to be totally satisfied with the results. I think you calling her in the morning would have solved that - you would not have spent all day wondering. So waht if it "shouldn't" be you first, you are the kid... keep your emotional health and heart happy! Pride gets in the way a lot for me, too.

    ReplyDelete