Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Food, weight loss and exercise

I have been doing a lot of thinking the past few months about food weight loss and exercising.


Here is what I used to think worked and what I have learned:

Skipping meals means less calories and lower number on the scale, what I have learned is that doesn’t work and it took me oh 12+ years to figure that one out

That you can eat what ever you want but stay at within a certain calorie boundary, Ha well I was told that doesn’t work last week. Now I am trying new healthy foods to fill my calories for the day. Thanks to a friend who totally called me out and got all Jillian on me for my food logs. But as harsh as it was it flipped that light bulb on and I made a change.

Used to believe that by skipping a meal I was not only saving calories but saving money, what I have realized is that you skip a meal you are more likely to get hungry later in the day and then eat everything in sight which may include a trip thru a drive thru or to a convenience store and get what ever looks good. Which by the way everything looks extremely delicious when you haven’t ate all day.

Exercising for an hour doesn’t mean you can go eat that milkshake that looked good earlier. My husband and I used to go to the gym several years ago and undoubtedly we would leave drive past Steak and Shake and stop his motto “we worked out and burned calories we can have a shake”

My highschool favorite was track each calorie then try to work out to make sure I burned each and everyone and was in the negative before bed. Well when you don’t eat enough your body starts eating away at muscle. Not to mention really screws with your metabolism.

Weigh each morning noon and night and several times in between, if the number is up don’t eat if its down eat a little. Well I am proud to say I have broke that cycle and no longer weigh. Yes I still step on the scale occasionally at work but I don’t let the number affect my mood or food for the day. The first week or so was hard because I didn’t know where I was but now I just go by my food intake how I feel inside and how my clothes feel.

So what am I trying now????

Well I no longer weigh religiously, I do however step on the scale at work when I am changing to go workout at noon but I don’t dwell on the number or let it affect me in any way.

Have completely changed the way I think of food and the types of foods I eat. Started buying more veggies and trying to get Blake to try them which is near impossible some days.

My salads now consist of more than just plain lettuce. I have red cabbage, carrots, cucumber and some sort of protein.

Oh the biggie is giving up Mountain Dew, I love the stuff and still do but I know if I allow myself just one it will be all down hill. So I drink tons of water and occasionally an unsweet tea.

My workouts well they are getting longer and more intense. I am still trying to fit in workouts of an evening around my chores and taking care of the kids but I am slowly finding a groove. Lucky for me Blake love taking walks and riding his bike so Saturday mornings if Kenny has to work we go to town and I push Nathan in the stroller and Blake rides his bike. Its no strenuous major calorie burning workout but its better than nothing and both kids love it.

Not skipping meals which is hard for me on weekends and some week nights if we are busy. I don’t realize I am hungry until I am starving and want to eat everything in sight.

Trying to cut back on getting food from fast food, gas stations or restaurants because I know its not healthy and we find ourselves eating out way way to much. I want eating out to be fun for the kids not something they expect x amount of times a week.

There is probably more I could write about but I will stop with that. I am not sure anyone will read it but I have wrote this for myself so that in a few months I can go back and read this and either be pleased with progress or see that I have fallen off track and need to get back up and going.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're on track. It's hard to not give in to temptation with fast foods especially when you're starving, it's close by and so much faster to just go through a drive thru.

    Thank you for blogging, it killed about 5 minutes of my slow work day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound so wise, shelley! that's a lot of years of having a dietician summed up in a few paragraphs. i've been having some struggles lately and this helps me!

    ReplyDelete