Race day!!!! We woke up around 3:30 am and started getting
ready. I was far from hungry but I went ahead and drank a couple glasses of
water and ate a banana. We took pictures at her house before heading across the
river to downtown St. Louis .
It was quite chilly out we wore short sleeve shirts Capri 's
and then our team sparkle skirts. As we were walking towards the start line we
had several race photographers stopping us wanting pictures because they loved
our skirts. I honestly never thought that we would stand out that much in them.
The whole day we had compliments on them and people wanting pictures and to
know where I got them.
before leaving her house. Yes I hate this picture of me I think its cause my hair is all pulled back.
The race was to start at 7 am. We were corral 20 the last
one in the race when we signed up we put a slow time in and maybe that was
silly. I had never signed up for a race like that before so I wasn't sure what
to expect. My only goal going in was to finish get that darn medal and not be
the last one across the line. As we were standing there we talked with several
other people who were racing saw many that were much older than us and then
amazed at the ones who were in the single digit corrals. Really wondered how
fast they ran. Several in our corral were first timers which was cool I was
worried I would be the heaviest one there well that wasn't the case. I was
surprised at how friendly everyone was. I am a super shy person so it was a bit
strange just talking to complete strangers but they gave us good tips advice
etc.
Freezing before dayligh and before the race started. I loved our hydration packs just didn't like where the chest strap went across.
It took us 30 min for our corral to start and quickly after
it began we were getting passed. I wasn't to concerned as I knew as long as we
kept up with 15-18 min miles we would be fine. My friend was worried about
everyone passing us but I told her just wait and mid way we will be passing
them as most started out to fast. We stayed towards the back of the pack which
was fine there wasn't people to try and dart around and not croweded. Plus it
was nice getting to talk to others and cheer them on and we got several pep
talks from other women that were around us. There wasn't as many bands along
the way as they had advertised and most of the streets were empty no spectators
which was a bit boring. But when we would come to places where there were
people I loved reading the posters they had made and hearing them cheer everyone
on.
The first few miles went pretty quick then we got out away
from the downtown area and was in residential areas and that's when it got a
bit boring. My friend was always a few strides ahead of me which was ok I just
told her she couldn't lose me. I am not a city person so as long as she was in
my sights I was fine. By mile 7 we had went up a few decent hills and my hips
hated me with a major passion. I kept going slowed to about a 3.5 mph walk we
had been walking at 4.0 and higher. We talked to several others that were
walking about the same time which passed the time. I texted a few friends that
I knew would be supportive and tell me to keep going. Mile 10 and 11 were my
worst more hills and I could no longer feel my lower back and hips my feet were
fine which that was what I was worried most about.
Mile 11 was my wall I wanted to quit let the sweeper van
pick me up and be done. But I am not a quitter and I knew I would beat myself
up for stopping for ever. Sent a couple more text and shed a couple tears but
pushed on. I knew that if I made it 11 miles (twice as far as my farthest
training I had done) I could go on to the finish line.
Around mile 10 or 11 we caught up with a lady who was
walking by herself so I walked with her for a while and we talked. She had kids
older than mine and her mom had brought them to cheer her on. It was so sweet
her kids were so excited. I could tell she had lost some weight prior and she
was struggling. I talked to her for quite awhile and she said don't let me hold
you back. I said I came in to this with no other goal than to not be last and
to finish and get the medal I don't care about the time. Her kids met up with
her around mile 12 so I caught back up with my friend. Mid way thru mile 12 my
friend sped up again and was with another lady who had been ahead of us for a
while. Well I looked back looking for the lady I had walked with earlier and
didn't see her. But saw another lady coming up who looked to be struggling as
much as I was. So I walked with her and learned she was twice my age and it was
her first ever half as well. I ended up walking with her and talking to mile
13. They had a photo thing set up over head so my friend and I ran hand in hand
across that then I knew that I couldn't run any more unless I wanted to trip
and fall. I sure didn't want that to be my official finish picture! My friend
once again rain ahead to have the "awesome" finish picture she
wanted. I still looked for that first mom I had walked with but still didn't
see her. But found the last lady I had talked to and she was alone as her group
had went ahead long ago. So I decided to go across the finish line with her.
Once we crossed we told each other great job and did a high five she was almost
to tears and I could tell she was very proud of herself.
I got my medal and wasn't prepared for the overwhelming
emotion that came with it. I contained it but dang it was hard. My friend and I
got a couple pictures after the race with our medals and she took off to get
the free beer that each finisher got. I didn't want anything other than cold Gatorade
and to sit on the curb. So while she went to go get her drink I called my
husband who was shocked that I finished and texted several friends.
We were more than ready to head back to the metro link and
back to her car. The 2 block walk to the metro link sucked I knew part of my
weakness was from only having a banana and then half a bagel prior to race
start. We made it back to her car and then she wanted to get something to take
home and eat for her and her husband. We stopped at a sub place called
Firemen's Subs and we walked in and still had our race outfit and bib on so
more compliments and comments from strangers. Another group that had came from
the race was behind us in line. I got my sandwich and a soda and planned on
eating mine on my two hour drive home. We stopped at a cupcake place that's a
few blocks from her house and well cupcakes are a weakness. Its two friends
that opened up the place they make everything all organic and use less sugar
than regular and were the best tasting cupcakes I had ever got. So I got some
regular size and some minis to take home to my boys.
The ones on the right were neopalitan and very yummy!
I loaded up my car and got on the road still in my race
outfit. Got lost once trying to get back on the right interstate. Once I got
back in to Missouri and on I-44 I stopped at White Castle
and got a crave case to take home to my boys. They all love them especially the
kids they think they are mini hamburgers and that they are super cool. I ate a
couple on the way home since I decided not to eat my sub in the car. Was never
so glad to see the exit for St. James!!
I wanted nothing more than to get home get out of my clothes
and in a hot bath but had to drive on an extra 12 miles to pick up Blake from
my mom's house. I was standing in the driveway when they pulled in and I
noticed my mom laughing. I was like great do I look that bad!!! She got out and
said that when they crossed the cattle guard and saw me standing at the car she
told Blake who's mommy is here?? He goes I don't know cause that ain't my
mommy! Of course he loved my medal and asked if I could enter him in a race so
he could get his own!
Finally got home and in the bath and then Nathan and Kenny
came in from their walk in the woods. Nathan was excited to see me and liked my
medal too but was more fascinated with the cupcakes and white castle burgers.
By 8pm I was ready to fall asleep and tried watching the Cardinals game but
slept thru most of it. Kenny got back from taking Blake to my in-laws house and
was like how was the game. Uh well I slept thru it don't think I missed much
they lost.
The race shirt that we were given was pretty cool
Its short sleeved and I like that it has the year on it. The purple ones we wore didn't have the year just the race place and distance.
I also bought myself this shirt at the expo really wanted it in short sleeve but they were out of them must be a popular one. But I think I may order one next spring. They had tons of shirts with some really cool sayings. My friend got one that said will run for beer.






Great job Shelley! Way to fight those hills and finish strong:) I'm so glad you are going to do another:)
ReplyDeleteThanks!!! Yes around half way I was like no way will I ever do this again but now I am like ok I did it once all I can do is improve from here.
DeleteMaybe I could do this? I never thought I could. 5Ks are hard for me to finish running. I never considered that I could actually walk though. I know a woman who ran the full marathon, and her husband actually qualified for Boston at that marathon too. Those people I think are hard core runners. I am not at all. But your story was inspiriting to me. Maybeb I am an all or nothing person and maybe I should consider a shorter race or walking in a race as fine, too.
DeleteDid you spend a lot of money on all of this, do you think?
Delete