I sent a friend an email in repsonse to her comment on my last post, explaining my background on why I liked helping with the benefit dinner and now with auctions. She suggested I post that email as a blog entry, as other readers may want to know how I got to where I am now.
When I was a kid from about age 7 until 13 or 14 my mom helped with every dinner and event the Vichy Fire Department had. Since she was a single mom I always tagged along and so did many other kids from the community. Of course as kids we thought it was fun that our job was putting ice in cups and putting slices of pie or cake on plates. I remember being at the fairs and getting to ride rides all day and night while my mom helped with the food stands and remember the fun times at the Extravaganza each year. Then one year my mom just decided to stop going to dinners stop helping and pretty much stop talking to everyone, I never asked why and by that time I had got a four wheeler and had more fun riding it day and night. I did miss all the people as most of them were like family to me.
Then my Junior year in Highschool I had enough credits I was able to take a class at Rolla Technical Center, a friend of mine said she was taking Fire and Rescue (mind you she just thought it would be an easy A and lots of cute guys) so she talked me into taking it. I was very interested in the class after the first day and knew it was something I wanted to stick with, however my friend dropped out the second week. I was the only girl and the smallest person by far out of the whole group. I didn't share with my friends or family what class I was taking. I did tell my dad finally as I was not sure on his reaction, but he wasn't surprised as I had grew up around it. My dad was a volunteer fire fighter when my mom and him were still married, my mom's best friend was on the fire department and she was like my second mom and then there is Don who is the Cheif of the fire department and like family to me. Pretty much those were the only people who knew, I was to scared to share with my friends at school about my class knew I would get made fun of and teased. Our teacher was a total jerk and not long before state exams came around he pretty much quit and left us on our own to study and learn.
I knew that I wanted to pass the class and return for the second year but I also knew I needed help from someone who knew about fire fighting and could help me study. I called Don and he was very happy to help me study and we spent several evenings a week studying and preparing me for my finals. I did pass all that I needed to for that year so I could go back the following year. It was the first time I had been back around the fire department since my mom and I quit going and it was quite an odd feeling being there, but it also felt like home. I had decided to become a volunteer fire fighter, but Kenny wasn't a fan of it and so I eventually returned my gear and quit. I went back to class my Senior year had an awesome teacher and passed the rest of my state exams.
Over the years Kenny has gotten to know Don, his family and some of the others better and while he isn't warm and fuzzy with me being a volunteer fire fighter, he said it was ok for me to help with auctions. So in my mind right now that is as close as I can get to being a volunteer fire fighter. Don is happy that Kenny has came around and letting me have this part of my life that I had closed off so long ago, and I am pretty darn happy about it to. Its a lot of hard work and getting up super early on Saturday morning isn't real apealing I am happy when the day is done.
Last night I took the kids to the fire house and helped everyone fill candy bags and set up stuff for the annual Halloween party they will have Saturday night. I plan on getting done with the auction changing clothes getting the kids ready and heading up there. I haven't attended a party since I used to help set them up when I was a kid. Blake is excited especially when he saw what toys there are to win as prizes and already has his eye on a toy bow and arrow. I hope to get some pictures from the auction this weekend of me grilling and then some of the kids at the Halloween Party to post next week.
I think a toy bow and arrow DOES sound like fun!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to hear the story behind the photos I saw on facebook from Halloween!