Have you ever had to jump out of your comfort zone? For me its not fun at all, makes me nervous, scared and a ball of nerves. But I have lept out of mine twice now two weekends ago and this past weekend.
Two weekends ago I volunteered to help with a silent auction and benefit dinner. At the end of the evening there was a pie auction. It took a lot of courage to even offer to help and even more to get out of my car once I got there. Well I stayed outside helping grill the meat most of the day. Then when it came time for the pie auction I some how ended up standing in front of the whole crowd holding the pies that were being auctioned. I am NOT one who likes crowds of people and defiantly NOT one who wants to stand up in front of people. I always worry if they are looking at me judging me or making fun of me. But I stood there the whole time while they sold 50+ pies and cakes. After it was over a few people said they were proud of me for standing up there the whole time as they knew exactly how shy I am.
Then I decided I would help cook for auctions that the Fire Department follows. They have a trailer that is like a concession stand and a huge grill they take to auctions. We sell pork steak, whole hog sausage, hotdogs, hamburgers, soda, tea, lemonade, chips and candy bars oh and coffee and hot chocolate. I had done dinners at the Fire Department in the past with my mom but that was a very long time ago. I had never been to an auction and had no clue on how it worked or where I would fit in. I got there at 7am to help load the trailer and I just felt my way around and ended up carrying stuff out and letting others put it where to go. I didn't want to make anyone mad or step on any ones toes as I could tell they have a system and certain people do this or that. We arrived at the auction and started to set up and I was handed a pair of tongs, I have bbq'd before just enough for us to eat not in mass quantities and never grilled whole hog sausage. I knew I had to prove that I could grill and hold my own and not wimp out, even though I was super nervous and still not sure of my place. I can't even count how many things I cooked on Saturday it was a 12 hour day. Lots of hard work but I really enjoyed it and enjoyed everyone else that helps. I felt a little better by the end of the day and felt like I fit in.
So Sunday I didn't have a babysitter for the boys and decided I would try taking them with me. I packed Nathan's stroller, walker, pack n play and lots of toys and snacks. I knew Blake would be fine as he occupies himself, but was worried about Nathan being quiet and good. To my surprise they both did great for the 9 hours! I was totally amazed and everyone complimented on how well behaved they both were Blake had fun watching the guys do the auctioning and then watching all the people walk by. He socialized with all the helpers and Nathan smiled at anyone who would look his way. However that all came to a crashing halt when we returned to the Fire Department to unload everything Blake got moody and Nathan was tired and wanting to crawl around. I held it together and finally got the kids to the car.
The weekend was good however not sure if I will ever get the smell of bbq smoke out of my hair, but I enjoyed cooking and getting to know everyone. Yeah I guess I am weird as I am the only girl out of the group who will cook or maybe I am the only girl that is allowed to. But I would much rather stand at the grill than deal with the crowds of people trying to buy the food!
I think that next weekend I really need to find a sitter for both kids on Saturday as I know it will be a super busy auction day and then at least have a sitter for Nathan on Sunday.
I'm proud of you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jess!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat is the charity for? Fire service to the country area?
ReplyDeleteThat is great for you to step outside of your norm. It is good to be stretched! I don't think 1 year olds like to be stretched too much though... :)
I wonder if there is another thing you'd be good at for your career that you haven't thought of. Maybe you would be much better at customer service than you had ever thought? Or being out with different people all the time instead of the same few people in one office? I was just thinking about how God has used different situations to tell me what my strengths are and where I can be able to use them the best.
It sounds like you've found fun in a place you never would have thought, and that is really great!