Thursday, June 6, 2013

Memorial Weekend

I haven't been in the mood to blog lately in fact haven't been in much of a mood for anything.. However I had never taken time to post about the fun parts of Memorial weekend and the annual pig roast.  The boys had a blast as usual and were very very worn out by the end of the 3 day weekend. But they had fun made friends and were happy to play in the dirt run ride bikes oh and have soda.

I have no pictures from them going to shoot the pig since I wasn't there but heard they had a good time. I got there late Saturday afternoon not long before the fish fry was to start.

Would have loved to have a more close up picture but that would have involved walking across the field. I am not sure how many kids were on the tractor with Dwayne both of mine were and I think at least 6 others. Of course the kids thought it was awesome and I was surprised by boys were ok with sharing their Dwayne and tractor with others :)

All of the kids loved getting in these pieces of pipe and being pushed all over. This was pretty late at night and Nathan was doing what ever he could to stay awake. I got both kids laid down and asleep by around 11pm and they both slept sound in the back of the durango until around 7 the next morning. We stayed up the whole night "watching" the pig cook. Kenny and Nate didn't think I could hang with them and stay up and I was out to prove them wrong! I dozed off a couple times for about an hour total the whole night and they never said anything but I think they were shocked I lasted out there with them.

The boys had picked out bright orange Duck Dynasty shirts from Walmart to wear on Sunday for the pig roast. I am a big of an odd parent when there are over 30 kids running around I like to have mine in bright shirts so I can see them quickly from a distance. Or know if my kids are behaving.

The shirts were tshirts with sleeves and well the boys just didnt like that. They had to be like the "big" guys and have cut off shirts. So yes I took their brand new shirts over to Chad and Todd and  had them cut the sleeves off. The boys were super happy and well I figured after a day in the dirt and playing they would be stained and never look the same again.
I don't know how many miles Nathan rode his bike but he rode it non stop day and night from Saturday until Monday afternoon! As soon as I am back to my normal and get the ok to workout I am heading to walmart and buying a bike! Two boys that love to ride I wont pass up that opportunity. Riding a bike was all I lived for when I was a kid rode everyday in summer from time I woke up til I went to bed. Happy to see my boys love it too.

Nathan in the pipe again. I had heard two adults got in this the night before but I missed it or I would have taken pictures or videos. Neither of the two that were in there were small guys would have made for a good picture for the paper when they were turning 50 :)

Getting the pig off the grill about two seconds after this picture was taken the table was surrounded by guys cutting the pig up and it was very yummy this year.

Nathan found him a new friend and she loves corn on the cob as much as him. They both ate like 3 or 4 ears during dinner. She is only a month or two older than him and a super sweet little girl. Nathan ate about 3 more ears after lunch! Sure hope our 7 rows of corn in our garden produce I have a boy who loves corn as much as me!!!!

This was almost all the kids that were at the pig roast this year we counted about 6 or 7 that wasn't in the picture. Saturday night we counted 30 that were at least age of 2 or over and there were several little ones and babies as well. Neat to see this picture and wonder if they will carry on the tradition of the annual pig roast. Those of us in our late 20's and 30's are carrying it on and I hope that our kids do the same when we get older.

Nathan told me he wasn't tired. But he climbed up in my chair and when I turned around he was out! We went home to sleep in our beds on Sunday night even though the boys didn't want to but they woke up full of energy and ready to go on Monday.

It was a great weekend full of fun times getting to sit and talk with people you sometimes only see once a year. Most all of the people there live fairly local but with busy lives kids work and life we rarely get to see many of them. Hope this tradition continues for years to come!!







4 comments:

  1. How's the fibula? Love all the pig roast pictures! What a fun event. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very fun event... I guess fibula is ok it don't hurt hasn't really ever hurt just hope its healing and will be good as new in 4 weeks.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a really fun weekend, hopefully helped you take your mind off of everything going on! Looks like the boys had a blast, so cool rolling around in pipes and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't been hurt I think I would have gave the pipe rolling a try :) I tried the rope swing last year and it ended up on video and several phones.

      Delete