Friday, November 5, 2010

Annual Dinner and fun for Blake

Last night was the Vichy Volunteer Fire Department Annual Thanksgiving Dinner. I had not planned on going as I knew Kenny was trying to get the steel tied in our porch so the guys could pour it early next week. The thought of taking two kids to a big dinner with a large crowd scared me. But yesterday afternoon I talked to several people and eventually got talked in to attending. I knew that there would be plenty of people to help me with the boys (mainly Nathan) but I am stubborn and don't like to ask for help with my kids I feel I should be able to be super mom and do it all.

We arrived at 6 and was able to get a good seat and save enough seats for the rest of our group. Blake was happy to see Dimisha and they took off playing, Nathan was a little confused by all the people but he recognized Don and Brenda and gave them huge smiles and "talked" to them. Going thru the food line was a bit awkward carrying Nathan but we managed and thanks to Brenda for helping me scoop food on my plate I survived. I wish I would have took a picture of Nathan shoveling mashed potatoes and mac n cheese in he had it everywhere but was a very happy boy.

When the dinner ended it was time for the meeting and electing of new board members. One board member was a founding partner in the Fire Department in 1977 he had been on the board ever since but has decided to step down this year. They had a very nice plaque made for him and the President gave a nice speech. Then they did the elections for the two open spots and I heard it was a very close race between all who ran. As I was sitting there I kept hoping no one would nominate me, well I was wrong wrong wrong! I over heard Don saying something in regards to I would make a good secretary for the Fire Department and the current Secretary was resigning this December. I wasn't sure what to say but inside my mind was yelling no no no won't happen won't do it. However I kept my mouth shut and thought well if its meant to be then it will happen, so I heard this morning I may be the only candidate for the position. The executive board members will be the one to vote in the new secretary and most of them know me and have known me since I was a little girl so my chances of getting it are pretty good. Especially since the Chief is the one who nominated me and I doubt anyone would second guess his opinion on who should take over. I however am a bit terrified as I will have to sit up in front of everyone with the President, Vice President and Treasurer once a month for a one hour meeting. Totally out of my comfort zone but I think I am ready to give it a try. I haven't told Kenny I was nominated yet figured I would wait until I knew who all was running against me. Not sure how happy he will be about it, but he seems to be fine with me volunteering to help with the auctions.

After the dinner and elections we were getting ready to leave and Blake noticed the door to the fire bay was open and he could see the trucks. He immediately asked me if I could take him to look at the trucks, I hesitated and tried getting him to go ask Mark to take him back there and instead Don told him to follow him back there. We spent an hour with Blake and Nathan back there with Blake asking tons of questions and sitting in every spot on all 5 trucks and then climbing up in the back of most of them. When Don told Blake that his mommy was a fire fighter Blake looked puzzled and said no you weren't. I snapped these two pictures with my phone while we were back there.

Here was Blake sitting in one of the bigger trucks pretending to drive. Blake had me climbing up on all the trucks with him asking tons of questions, I had wore my brown dress boots with a 3 inch heel defiantly not the thing to wear to get in and out of trucks.

And I can't leave Nathan out, he crawled all over the fire bay and tried climbing up on all the trucks with his big brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment